Our Young Carer's commitment
A Young Carer is a child under the age of 18 who is caring unpaid for a family member or friend who is ill, frail, disabled or has a mental health or additional problems. At Broomhill Juniors, we recognise that some of our children are Young Carers who can be vulnerable and sometimes disadvantaged group of children, who frequently experience difficulties in their education due to their caring role.
Our school community is committed to meeting the needs of Young Carers so that they can attend, enjoy learning and achieve their full potential.
We support our Young carers in the following ways:
- There are timetabled weekly drop-in sessions on a Friday, which Young Carers can chose to attend. This is a time where they can meet other Young Carers, enjoy some down time or enjoy some fun activities.
- An opportunity to chose to attend a lunchtime club.
- Mindfulness activities during Young Carer sessions, providing an opportunity for relaxation and respite.
- Our learning mentors are available daily should the children need someone to talk to.
- A raised awareness to all staff so that Young Carers can be supported effectively.
- A raised awareness to the whole school community through focused assemblies.
- Opportunities to attend free breakfast club, free holiday clubs and any other after school clubs
Young Carers Support Team
Liz Willis Meg Collett
Young Carers Lead Young Carers SLT Member
If you wish to find out more about the support available for young carers at Broomhill, please contact Liz Willis either via phone or the school email address found on the 'contact us' page.